1. Is there a “light wars” going on in your home? And if so, who wins?
2. Do you have a favorite decoration? If so, why is it so special?
3. How does light affect you? Do you notice when we have a stretch of dark, cloudy days? Do you do anything to combat that?
4. Light is a major theme in the book of John and the bible in general. How many times do you see this word in the first chapter?
5. The first few verses of John create an obvious connection to Genesis creation. Why does John do this? What does this do to our understanding of Jesus as the Word?
6. What does it mean that Jesus’ life is light? And does this connect to Genesis creation?
7. Our world is described as being “darkness” in verse 5. What does this mean? Is this something you’ve observed?
8. What does it mean that the “darkness” was not able to overcome the light? The word “overcome” is also translated as “comprehend”. Both meanings seem to be in view. What kind of hope can that bring you and others?
9. This passage gives us a glimpse into the relationship of the Trinity and the perfection of that relationship. It was out of abundance that the Godhead invites us into relationship, not out of need. How does this bring perspective to the incarnation?
10. In John's day, philosophers said that if you aligned your life with the Logos (the Word), life would go well; you would find meaning, purpose and fulfillment. Then John came along and said that the Logos (the Word) was a person. This revolutionized everything. Has your life been revolutionized by this truth? In what ways?
Our Podcast can be found on: