1. Why do you think we are called to endure trial and tribulation? How can we persevere?
2. How does James describe the “riches” of this worldly life?
3. What do you think is meant by “the crown of life”? (See also 1 Cor 9:24-27.) What do you anticipate upon receiving this crown?
4. In Genesis 3:1-7, what did the serpent imply about God? What did the serpent promise?
Is our sin always the result of some external force?
5. What is the difference between testing and temptation? Why can it be said that God never tempts us?
6. As Christians, in Christ we are at peace with God yet at war with sin. (Though in Christ, a war that cannot be ultimately lost. See Romans 5:18-21.) What does James offer us in the remainder of Chapter 1 with respect to our struggle, or “mortification” of sin. From this reading, and your knowledge of other Bible passages, how does God’s word and the Holy Spirit help us put sin to death in our lives?
Our Podcast can be found on: